Re: System freeze ?

Ted wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

Ted wrote:

I find this is not specific to Fedora...I have tried several distros and all exhibit the same problem apart from Libranet..I cannot understand why Libranet should be ok yet others fail...I have been running the Mersenne prime prog plus seti and gkrellm shows 98% useage fro the last 8 hours and have no problems...As soon as I try to call up apps in kde or delete mail too quickly the system freezes completely...No response from k/board and need to hard reset....Am using FC/3 at the moment and
although it does freeze it is about the best distro I have tried....

But again that could be related to a driver written by someone outside fedora and just imported. The issue is why is Libranet stable? This would be a good place to start looking.

Over the months, I have read so many people point to the NVidia driver as the problem but I have heard about people having this problem with ATI cards as well. I cannot recreate the problem at work but I don't have SATA, Athlon or NVidia either.

I can deal with one lockup a month, still much better than any windows box I have used, until June for FC4. Then I will look at it much closer.
--
Robin Laing