Re: migrating 2.4->2.6 & binutils

James Wilkinson wrote:
Douglas Frank wrote:

I'm migrating an RH9 laptop to the 2.6 kernel and I have a question re.
making binutils.   I want 'make install' to overwrite the old 2.13 bits
with the new 2.15 stuff, right?  And to do that, I need to 'configure --
prefix=/usr', right?

Paul Howarth wrote:

I'd try to avoid using non-RPM-installed programs, especially under /usr, if I was you.

Good advice.

Try downloading the latest development binutils SRPM

Why development? Clearly the FC2 and the FC3 binutils are Good Enough to
run 2.6, and I seem to remember that FC1 came with everything needed to
run 2.6, too.

Released packages are supposed to work (and you're supposed to be very
surprised when they don't work). Development ones are supposed to trash
installs (and you're supposed to be pleasantly surprised when they
don't!)

You're quite right of course. It's my habit to download the development SRPM and compile it if I need something newer than what I'm currently using, but since I usually keep up to date with Fedora releases, there aren't any "released" updates that are newer than what I already have, so "development" is usually the only option.

Paul.