Re: cannot boot fedora FC3 after succesful installation on a quad Opteron

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 22:13 -0800, Simeon Nifos wrote:

> > I have a Tyan dual Opteron motherboard that I can
> > make work, but it will
> > not reboot correctly requiring a clearing of the
> > CMOS then re-setup of
> > CMOS and sometimes it even locks up while running.
> > Haven't found the
> > cause yet. But your discussion makes me believe I
> > should take a second
> > look at the memory, maybe even try a different
> > version memory device set.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> >  > Hi Simon,
> >
> >  > I had a similar problem on a Thinkpad using the
> > 32-bit version.
> >  > It turned out to be a wrong memory module, I had
> > a 512 MB PC2100 (266
> >  > Mhz) SO-DIMM installed and the machine needs
> > PC2700 (333 MHz) memory.
> >
> >  > Some times the machine booted fine only to give
> > problems later (Kernel
> >  > panic), some times it stopped when setting the
> > time right at the place
> >  > that you indicate.
> >
> >  > Memtest reported the memory as ok, but maybe it's
> > not running it at 333
> >  > MHz at the time of the test (??).
> >
> >  > Best regards,
> >  > Chris
>
> So what are you suggesting here? That I should change
> my 4GB of Memory module 512Mb PC3200 ECC Reg. Kingston
> "D" ??? Nooooooo!
>
> Look SuSE 9.1 worked fine! I think it is a Fedora
> problem and not a hardware problem! If it was a
> Hardware problem neither SUSE nor any other
> (Linux distro) would be able to work properly! Since
> one is found which works fine then I think it is a
> FEDORA issue! My question in that list just wanted
> to check out if there is any upgrade or patch which
> handles such problems!
>
> So is there anything like that?
---
you could search bugzilla - obviously this isn't normal expected
behavior.

if you wanted to put the memory thing to rest - you could boot the cd
and then <Control><Alt><F3> and type 'memtest' (I think is the command -
I need my own memtest  ;-)

Craig