Hypertransport ... Re: Hyperthreading Support with FC3

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:16:55PM -0600, Lokeey wrote:

> I mis-spoke, I meant HyperTransport.
>

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:05:02 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am Di, den 15.02.2005 schrieb Lokeey um 19:50:
> >
> > > I was wondering if anyone has had any experience running FC on any of
> > > the AMD 64 systems. I'm looking to get a notebook with the AMD 64
> > > processor and plan to load FC3, but I don't want to waste my $$$ if
> > > this is not supported or if it doesn't work.

Since the memory subsystem is on the HyperTransport,
latency and bandwidth to/from memory is much improved.

You should try the 64 bit Fedora release.  As far as I know the 32 bit
release of Fedora runs just fine so you have a fall back.

I have begun shopping for the next turn of the Opteron motherboards
for my next box.  It is clear to me that Operton based systems
are the way to go right now.  I have access to a pile (cluster) of them
at work running Fedora so I can see what they can do.

Notebooks are sort of special case systems (pun intended) you might
have to work through some driver/ display issues but all in all you
will love the new generation of AMD based boxes.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)