Re: FC2 -> FC3 Upgrade on Toshiba Tecra 8100 Causes All PCM Sounds to be Scratchy - Workaround?

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:03 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ian Wallace wrote:
> > Hello everyone.  I've just recently upgraded my FC2 laptop to FC3 and to
> > my dismay the PCM playback (xine, xmms, aplay) all produce staticy
> > sounds.  I've googled on the subject and tried the following to correct
> > it:
> >
> > (As an aside sound in FC2 was spotty on this same machine ... however
> > during it's life time, and several kernels the sound did work at one
> > point, it always worked on FC1).
> >
> > *) Made sure that my volumes aren't muted etc.  I hear the sound, it's
> > just horrid.
>
> Um. I don't have your hardware, but I suspect you've got something
> digital going down the wires that connect to your speakers.
>
> Play something, and one by one mute everything that *doesn't* get rid of
> the music. When the noise goes, you've found your culprit...
>
> James.

James - Thanks for the reply.  I'll give that a shot.  What tool should
I be using to mute the channels?  I'm not so savvy with the sound
system ... do all the mixer's just control the same volume controls?
So, kmix, aumix, aumix-minimal, etc?  I'll play one of the distro
waves/ogg files in /usr/share/sounds and see if I can get this to clear
up.  Lots of folks have mentioned turning of IEC958 (I think that was
it) but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that (in some of the
volume control programs that I've been looking at).

cheers
ian