Re: Problems with rpm database

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:50:23 -0500, Carl Reynolds
<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on a machine and used rpm to get
> atrpms-kickcstart for the x86_64 architecture.
>
> When I run
>     apt-get update
> it gives me a lot of warnings like
>    W:: There are multiple versions of "...."
>    To disable warning set:
>    RPM::Allow Duplicated-Warning "false"
>
> I did the following command:
>    rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | sort | uniq -d | grep -v '^kernel'
> It shows 206 duplicate modules in the rpm database.
> The duplicates all have the same name and version number. That is, there
> are two versions of qt in the database, both with the same version, etc.
>
> I think that the people who made the distribution I'm using left both
> the i386 and x86_64 versions of all these packages in the system and rpm
> sees both versions.

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work.  An AMD64 chip can run
both 64- and 32-bit programs so long as you don't mix them too much.
That is, you cannot run a 32-bit program with 64-bit libs, so you need
the 32-bit libs, like those for Qt that you mentioned.  You also
cannot run 32-bit plugins with 64-bit programs (like Flash with
Firefox).  You are mostly seeing the libs that are installed for both
architectures.  OpenOffice is one major package that is currently only
available in 32-bit, so if you want that, you'll need these libs.

[snipped a lot of dangerous looking stuff]
> I'm running out of ideas to try. Would someone please tell me how to get
> rid of the duplicates from my rpm database?

These are not duplicates.  If you really want a pure 64-bit install, I
think Axel sent you some sites to look at.  If you want to leverage
the usefullness of x86_64 to support 64-bit and 32-bit, then I suggest
using yum instead of apt for package management, as yum understands
and can cope with the dual architecture.  Works great for me and I've
never seen errors about duplicates : ).

> Thanks,
> Carl.

Jonathan