Re: FW: Install problems Fedora Core 3 - Dell OptiPlex....

Jim Cornette wrote:
Irving, Dave wrote:

Hi,

Im trying to install Fedora Core 3 on an old Dell box which was, until today, running Win NT (Dell OptiPlex GX110). During the (GUI)
install process, I noticed that the screen wasn't refreshing very well (e.g, was not repainting properly if I scrolled the help menus). I thought this might sort itself out after the install. However, after the install completed (successfully according to the
install tool), the screen just went mad (random colour lines all over the screen) - moving the mouse or pressing keyboard buttons did nothing. So I rebooted, and at start up (the usual starting this, starting that console messages appeared), but then the screen
blew again. I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Dave
:-)

The problem is that the driver for the 810 and 815 Intel videocards was busted when FC3 was released. The driver is now fixed, so the next release should be fine. (FC4)

What you will probably have to do is a text install. As you found out, you have to type (linux command or option.)

To get into the text install you type the below at the first prompt.
linux text

NOTE: The text install is not as pretty as the GUI install. It is fairly easy to navigate through. You need to tab to fields, since there is no mouse control. Though you are in text install mode, the GUI programs will still be installed. You are just doing the install in text mode until you can fix the GUI problem post install.

A program that I recommend that you install is mc (Midnight commander). It is under system tools. The program is an editor, ftp, visual file manager and a whole lot more. The program is similar to Norton Commander and uses a lot of the same keystrokes. Why the program is not installed on default installations is a mystery to me.
Anyway, with this program, follow the steps below.

- After the text install is completed, reboot your computer.

- When the grub screen shows (blue menu screen), hit any key to unhide
the menu.
- Once the choices are visible, highlight the Fedora kernel choice and
press the a key. (append key)

Now you need to remove the rhgb quiet portion of the entry out. You can
backspace out this information. Now, add a space to seperate the option
and add a 1 to the end of the boot stanza.
This will bring you to a terminal only in a single user
mode. You will be the admin user, so be careful.

- Type mc then press enter. The visual shell (mc) will display.
- Navigate to the directory called /etc/X11/ and locate and highlight
the file xorg.conf. (mistyped before, main reeson for resend)
- Press the F4 key to allow an editor screen to appear.
- Now, press F7 (search feature) and type driver or scroll to the driver
section entry in the file being edited. (Example below).

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "My Favorite Videocard"
    Option "NoAccel"
EndSection

- Arrow down to the last line in the driver section of the file and add an option called "NoAccel" to the file.

The option disables some X features, but later you can remove this entry. (After running up2date, yum or other updating tool)

After you get your entry looking like you want it to look, Press F2 to save the file with edits. Then press F10 to exit the file editor, then F10 again to exit the visual shell.

After you exit the visual shell, type reboot to get your system to reboot. The system should then start up in graphics mode and give you
the first boot screen, where you create your regular user and stuff.

Sorry for the rushed version sent earlier.

Jim