To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: Wireless card how do I install it in Fedora

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:43:55 +0100, MJonkers <wemeelen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, I have a 3COM wireless card (PCMCIA). How do I install it, i am new to
Fedora. Thanks, M --

you'l need to get drivers for the card. connect with the wireless
tools. I would insert the Card the boot into linux. See if Kudzu
detects the card and loads drivers for the card. If not, then check
out http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10468.html foir drivers for your
Card. Once you get the drivers install, you'll want to open
network device controls. App---->system settings--->network. Next, you'll want to create a new network device. So click new select
the type, in your case select wireless next screen, it will list the
availible devices. if your card is listed, then half of the battle is
done. if not, you'll need to create a new device from the list. Configure the rest of the settings accourding to your newtwork and
save the settings.

open the terminal, type is as root

service network restart

next try a iwlist scan to see if the card detects any AP's. if it does then issue a command

iwconfig device (eth1??) essid <networkname> ifup eth1

and see i you connect.   you can check by    issueing  ifconfig (will
list your devices and any atributes with that device e.g ip address ,
mac address etc...

Any problems just post back and I or some of the otherss can help.  :)

--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813