Re: first time Fedora for me, any tips?

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 19:59 +0000, Joe Casual wrote:
> The problem is, the first ISO is not bootable. Is there another ISO I need
> to download, which is bootable?

A common error is to burn the file rather than the image.

> I'm going to put this on an Intel Celeron platform with a 40GB drive, CDR,
> 1.44 Floppy, and some standard extra's (nothing fancy).
>
> I would like to turn this box into an FTP server on my home network and
> replace my Windows FTP server. I would also like to run Apache, (some type
> of email service), and do some file sharing on my home network.

Get ONE up at a time.

The built-in vsftpd is perfect and very simple to configure.

Fedora devels have pre-configured apache (HTTPD) to pretty-much work out
of the box.

For email, I recommend Postfix. Many people find it much simpler to
configure than Sendmail. Some suggest that the modular approach makes it
faster and less resource consuming as well.

--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam:     http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm