Re: (no subject)

Gene Poole wrote:
> Please note,  my responses are below in blue and red.

As others have said, this doesn't necessarily work!

The problem was getting your CD-ROM to work.

I asked:
> Can you do a
> ls -l /dev | grep hdd

and Gene replied:
> brw-rw----  1  root  disk   22,   64  Feb 22 01:31   hdd

Right. Looks like the Linux kernel has detected that there is a drive
there, but udev hasn't made a cdrom symlink. That shouldn't be a
problem: I'll put a few trouble-shooting notes later.

Gene said:
> Below are the messages extracted from dmesg:
<snip>
> And then further down:
>
> hdd: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

Good.

Do I understand that you have neither a /media/cdrom mountpoint or a
/mnt/cdrom mountpoint? (A "mountpoint" just being a directory).

Can you take a look in /media and in /mnt and work out where your other
mount points for removable devices are? I suspect that they'll still be
in /mnt (since this is an update in place).

Unless you *want* to move them to /media, do a
mkdir /mnt/cdrom
(as root), then try
mount -o ro /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom
Does that work? If not, do you get any error messages? Anything in
/var/log/messages?

If that works, can you check for a /dev/hdd line or a /dev/cdrom line in
/etc/fstab. If none exist, something like this should work:
/dev/hdd    /mnt/cdrom     auto    noauto,users             0 0

You would then have to mount and unmount the CD-ROM, but should be able
to do this from a normal user's command prompt. You may find this Good
Enough: it's the traditional Unix approach.

Troubleshooting udev: what do you have in /etc/udev/rules.d?

Do you have these three lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:

# do not seperate the next 2 lines!!
KERNEL="hd[a-z]",  BUS="ide", SYSFS{removable}="1", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/ide-media.sh %k", RESULT="floppy", SYMLINK="floppy%e", NAME{all_partitions}="%k", NOREMOVE="1"
KERNEL="hd[a-z]", BUS="ide", SYSFS{removable}="1", RESULT="cdrom", SYMLINK="cdrom%e"

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Why would a space craft have air intakes?" Myself, I
Exeter    Devon    UK | think it's to keep the space lanes clear by sucking in