Re: X problems on Dell Latitude w/i915 graphics (and Fn-key questions)

jim lawrence wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:39:34 +0100, Toralf Lund <toralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We're having problems with the X server when running Fedora or Red Hat
Linux (i.e. we've tried both FC3 & older stuff) on a Dell Latitude 610
notebook with an Intel 915 graphics chip. Firstly, no driver but "vesa"
appears to work at all, but we don't mind that too much. However, we
can't get a correct display with that either. Symptoms:

   * A black screen is displayed by default.
   * When using an external monitor instead of the built-in LCD screen,
     everything works fine.
   * If starting up with external display, then switching to the
     build-in one via and Fn-key combination (Fn+F8 in this case), the
     built-in one also works.
   * The same is true after starting with the internal one (and getting
     a black screen), then switching to external and back to internal.
   * In the above two cases, display is once again lost if we switch to
     a different VT via Ctrl+Alt+F-keys, then back to the X server.

Any ideas how to get around this? I mean, how to get the internal
display to work directly?

Related question: What exactly happens when the Fn-combination is
pressed? I mean, I've sort of seen this operation as akin to pulling out
the cable to the monitor, then inserting another one, but to get the
behaviour described above, there must also be some kind of software
signalling involved, mustn't there?

- Toralf

The Fcn + key is most likly being controlled by the BIOS in some way
same or form.

That's what I've been thinking. However, what I'm trying to say that it now seems to me that the X server is in *some* way told about this key press, and that it takes some kind of action when it is. If it isn't, how can the display start working all of a sudden after the switch? (And stop working after restart or VT-change.)

take a look at /etc/X11/xorg,conf ( which is written bu
system-config-display)

Uhhh. Haven't got it in front of me right now, but all we have is a very simply "generic" entry.

look at your monitors section of the above file

Another thought, have you tried to set them as a generic LCD display?

We've only used variants of generic display as nothing else seemed to match.

- Toralf