Large HD support issues - clunk of death?

I've got a K7S5A Pro mobo. It has been running FC1 for quite a while with no issues. I wanted to run FC3 and have more space so I swapped out the 10GB disk and put in a Seagate ST3300831A 300GB unit. It was properly recognized during FC3 install. After completion of installation, I ran some updates via RHN and apt-get. No problems. After sitting idle for a few minutes, I did an 'ls' in the terminal. The drive made a "clunk" sound, the disk activity light came on, and the machine was locked up hard.

This basic scenario has repeated itself several times. Once while installing FC3 again, the clunk happened when I clicked Next after setting the NTP server.

Any ideas? Does this mobo and FC3 simply not play nice with this disk?

Thanks.

-Pete