USB Floppy drive shifting devices

Hello all.  Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, so here goes:

I have a laptop without a floppy drive. I have an external usb hard drive connected with two partitions on it. The usb hard drive is recognized as sda, and the partitions are sda1 and sda2. The problem is when I plug in a usb floppy drive. My system reassigns sda to the usb floppy and I lose my automatic setup/mounting of my usb hard drive.

I can't switch where I plug these devices in because the hard drive plugs into a usb 2.0 pcmia card (which is how I want to keep it) while the usb floppy is plugged into a regular usb 1.1 port.

How can I prevent my system from stealing the device name from the usb hard drive when I plug in the floppy drive? BTW, I'm running Fedora Core 2.