Re: Installing issue with tar.gz files

Kumara wrote:

Hi list
Could someone tell me how to compile/install packages that comes in tar.gz
Ex. I have asterisk tar.gz source file but don't know how to install it. could someone give me steps to go ahead.
I'm fairly familiar installations with rpm packages (but not src.rpm)
hope your assistance
Mohan

Instead of going on, we are going backward...

First of all I excuse if my reply comes a week after, but i'm busy in this period.
As many told you, every tarball has a README and INSTALL files in, you HAVE TO read it befor going anything, even if many programmers does not take care of it.
Installing from tarball in an rpm distro IS NOT A GOOD IDEA, because the rpm manager does not look for files in directory, but read them in some databases, so installing an rpm with some files similar to that installed from source could break the source installation.
For installing sources I suggest you kconfigure (http://kconfigure.sourceforge.net): it's a gui that permit to install sources in only tree click, reporting warning, errors and so on in an appropiate window (there are even some projects look more similar to windows' installshield, such as kcomain, if you, probably, want to feel yourself "at home").
After doing that i suggest you to use checkinstall (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall) for doing rpm packages: if you install created rpm, all files installed were overwritten and registered in the rpm database.
Checkinstall 1.5.x does not work with fedora, you have to take 1.6.0.

The src.rpm are particular rpms that include sources, not binary. You have to compile it to rpmbuild.