Changing ownership / group Using recursive command

Hi Folks:

I know that this is a kinda basic question, but I don't want to totally
mess up my webserver.  I have moved some directories to our new
webserver, and because of the move, they have all been flagged as owned
by and in the root group.  I want to change this to tholmes owner, and
apache group.

I am familiar with the chown and chgrp commands, my question pertains to
using the recursive flag and the proper syntax for it.  For example the
directory /var/www/html/mcaschool/ contains our schools website -- every
file within that website should have a owner of tholmes and group of
apache.

As I understand it, I would issue the following commands from the
/var/www/html/mcaschool/ directory:
chown tholmes /var/www/html/mcaschool/* -R
chgrp apache /var/www/html/mcaschool/* -R

Is this correct, or what is the correct command sequence.  I think I
have found the right commands, but I don't dare try it till I am sure as
I cannot afford to screw up the entire site.

Thanks

Tim Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster
Medina Christian Academy