Re: groupadd, useradd, etc

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

I believe its a sequence of events issue when using the normal commands. I've recreated the problem on another machine.

I know I'm replying to myself, but I figured out what causes gshadow to get corrupted.

Execute the following commands:
 tail /etc/gshadow         # to know what you started with
 groupadd sambashare
 tail /etc/gshadow
 useradd xyz
 tail /etc/gshadow
 usermod -G sambashare xyz
 tail /etc/gshadow

The usermod utility causes corruption in gshadow. The more users area added to the sambashare group, the more trashed gshadow becomes.

To remove the corruption :
 userdel -r xyz
 groupdel sambashare

I'm going to bugzilla this if its not in there already.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx