Re: Hardware compatibility issues with Shuttle XPC...

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:45 -0800, Noah Patton wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I am having difficulty getting Fedora Core 3 installed on my specific
> hardware configuration.
>
> Although the install completes fine, when the system first boots and
> should bring up the first-boot setup assistant, after the startup
> screen goes away I just get a blank screen with a cursor.
>
> ALT-F1 works fine, and I can do a ctrl-alt-delete and reboot the system
> cleanly, however I can't get to a command line and after each reboot I
> end up right back at the same problem.
>
> This system is a clean wipe of the hard drive.  Windows XP SP2 was
> previously installed, although not heavily used.  Installation of
> Debian unstable was also unsuccessful, it hard locked during first
> boot.  KnoppMyth installed and worked fine, until I tried to exit the
> GUI or reboot (even with sudo reboot/poweroff) - at which point the
> system would hard lock.
>
> My best guess says I have hardware problems - but I am a bit mystified
> as there were no issues under WinXP.  Am I missing some incompatibility
> information here?

Try booting to runlevel 3m which should give you a login prompt.

Log in as root and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add a line:

   Option "NoAccel"

to the "Device" section of the file.

Then try:
# startx >X.out 2>X.err

See if: (a) it works, or (b) any useful diagnostics get logged to either
X.out or X.err

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>