From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tor Harald Thorland
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:16 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Subject:[****] Re: Linux sucks?

Eric Vought wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2005, at 5:17 PM, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> From: Manu Schnetzler <marsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: February 14, 2005 5:17:25 PM CST
>> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
>>

>> I know I might be setting myself up to be thoroughly flamed, but I
>> thought I'd share my experience anyway and request some advice.
>>
>> I am using Windows and there is no way I can avoid it, because most
>> of the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. But some
>> do, and I thought setting up a dual boot machine would be nice, and
>> quite frankly I've always liked Unix and don't like Microsoft much (I

>> tend to like the David side of things in general), so anything I
>> could do another way would be great. By the way, I am not a beginner
>> when it comes to Unix/shells and such. In fact, I have cygwin on
>> Windows because I like the tools.
>>
>> So there we go: FC3 installed fairly easily. Now how do I set up my
>> dual head on here? Well that didn't go too well. There's a bug in
>> FC3, so I had to apply a patch. It went a bit further but it still
>> doesn't work: can't get the second monitor to be recognized. After
>> letting system-config-display rewrite my xorg.conf, it is not booting

>> anymore, so I have to get back in non-graphical mode and reset the
>> old xorg.conf. At this point, I have spent probably 6 hours setting
>> up my machine and looking for info on the web.
>>
>> Next thing, GRUB hangs and it takes me a few more hours of trying
>> several things, and I end up having to re-install FC3. I haven't
>> booted Linux since then...
>>
>> I know I won't make any friends here, but here's my conclusion. Linux
>> is not ready. For someone like me who doesn't have days to waste on
>> configuration and trying to solve issues, we'll have to stick with
>> Windows. And I know I will get the usual "but Windows crashes all the

>> time" and such. Well XP has been good to me so far - I can't remember

>> a major crash, so that argument doesn't stand anymore. Maybe back in
>> the days of NT, but not today.
>>
>> I'd love Linux to work, I really do. I'd love to ditch Windows and
>> put a Tux sticker on my PC, but I can't depend on it for my work, so
>> I won't. I hope I won't simply get flames telling me that I'm too
>> stupid to get past the problems I face. It would be more interesting
>> to receive some advice: should I try Red Hat and pay for support?
>> Wait another 5 years? Should I spend another 10 hours trying to get
>> FC3 to work for me? Is it worth my time, or will I face some other
>> problem once/if I get my dual head to work?
>

> Instead, XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic
> detection' goes to work. Good examples are the 3Com cards that have
> you put a CD in *before* installing the hardware so that the hardware
> detection can be tweaked or disabled. This wreaks havoc on a reinstall

> because you end up physically pulling hardware out of the box and
> [...]
A little funny issue from me too,,,
Did a webupdate from microsoft on a computer running XP Home yesterday,
and it did a "upgrade" on a mouse driver (from the microsoft site) The
update needed a restart, and when I pressed the OK button the PC
went to the "blue screen". When I rebooted it, it went fine until the XP

logo showed up, then the computer restarted by it self. And restarted
and restarted.
I tryed the "last working setup" from the "rescue screen".... And it
didn't work either
In the end I had to reinstall!!

2 days ago, did a fedora core 3 install, perfect except for one little
option for my Radeon card.

THT