openoffice.org-1.1.3-5.5.0: bug or feature?

I just yumed my way to the latest FC3 release of OpenOffice (BTW...thanks to whoever fixed the paste bug). After yum was all done I went ahead and start Calc from the menu (I use KDE). Calc loaded very quickly ( I estimate that the splash screen lasted for only about 25% of it's previous times). However Calc loaded to this very scary screen. I used kSnapshot and uploaded the result: http://pembo13.dalive.com/snapshot-oocalc-1.1.3.png . Now normally, loading an OpenOffice program from the menu leads to a new document being opened up for the approprate app. So I had never before seen this screen. Having been in windows for awhile (3.1 to WinME) bad habits die slow, so I rebooted the machine. I know I don't have to reboot to implement an upgrade but still. Came back up, and got the same result. I decided to open a document, since the simple file menu in oocalc was active, and it open the file as normal. Was also able to open a new doc etc.

But what I want to know is is thsi new behavior correct? It certainly isn't user friendly. I don't won't to go filing abug report prematurely.

Thank you.