MAJOR gnome problems/crashes after FC2->FC3 upgrade :-(

After upgrading to FC3 last W/E from FC2 (all latest updates applied), the back-end OS stuff is all working without a hitch (networking/mail/usb/etc.).

But gnome's borked. gnome-background-properties crashes during thumbnail creation (but not sure that's the issue). gconf-editor crashes at start-up. The window-list applet only displays it's drag-button plus I *think* a 1-pixel-wide display. The system monitor applet either won't start or is displaying nothing (in which case I've probably 4-5 of them now). (Oh, and the main system menu only displays text; the icons have gone. Is that right?)

And those are only the ones I've found. I've tried my guest account; I wiped *every* .[a-z]* file/dir. in there, and then logged in & tried to change the background: same crash. I've not yet checked the other issues.

I got the debuginfo RPMs for control-center (background props.) and gconf-editor. Although it shows me the source, gdb (ddd) reports 'no symbol in current context' (or whatever it says) for any variable I can select in the background props. crash.

With gconf-editor, it crashes after a call to (thinks) gconf_client_get (don't recall the key). It returns NULL (access to which causes the actual crash) but leaves the *err pointer ALSO NULL; (the code just checks whether there's an 'err' before going ahead and de-ref.ing the return result). I don't think that that [missing check] is the bug per se., but a symptom of whatever's wrong.

I noticed a while back that I'd stopped getting ~/.xsession-errors files; all users were getting them put into in /tmp under their name/process-id. I'm now not getting either (no new logs in /tmp OR $HOME), so I can't even see if there are any obvious errors. I'll run up a gnome-session from the command line when I get home & see if there's anything there.

I've had a good google around, but I can't see anyone else having this problem.

I really would rather fix this that have the daunting task of a re-install and re-application of all config. settings/user+account settings, although I reckon that's on the cards over Summer, maybe with FC4 (I've only done upgrades since my first install of RH6.1 back in 2000).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature