Re: KDE and GNOME apps

On 8 Feb 2005, at 05:43, Kevin Fries wrote:

| Can I run GNOME apps on KDE and vice versa?
|
| For instance:
| As I understand it a app called K3b is a cd/dvd burning app for KDE.
| Can I use K3b in GNOME??

Yes and No.

Gnome and Gnome applications are based upon a graphics package called GTK.

KDE & KDE applications are based upon a graphics package called qt.

If you have Gnome, GTK must be installed.

If you have KDE, QT must be installed.

Most computers have both GTK and QT installed, but it is not required.

If QT is installed, any KDE application should run.  If GTK is
installed, any GNOME application should run.  However, this rule is
not hard and fast.

Uh?

Having installed both GNOME and KDE base libraries, I have yet to find any application that refuses to work properly when working in any of those desktop environments. For me, K3B works fine whether I'm an a GNOME desktop session or a KDE session. In fact, I happen to spend most of the time under GNOME and tend to burn CD/DVDs using K3B.