Re: [Fedora] Re: Blocking vsftpd

Paul Howarth wrote:

Change 127.0.0.1 to your LAN IP address if you want it to accept connections from your LAN only. You could connect to your own computer this way but you'd have to use the LAN address rather than "localhost" when connecting.

If you want to allow connections from localhost *and* your LAN then it gets a bit more complicated, e.g. using iptables to restrict incoming connections, or running 2 vsftpd instances, one listening on the localhost address and one on your LAN IP address.

Well, let's see here. It is a public server which answers to www calls (it has a public IP as well.) One of the sites connects locally to an FTP applet for file uploads (which basically opens a connection to the local vsftpd daemon.) So, setting it to listen to localhost would work ... however, there will be other machines on our network (not necessarily on the same LAN) that will connect to this server. We have three subnets on our (public) network so I need to be able to cross from one subnet, through our router, back into the other subnet and to vsftpd running on this machine.

So, as far as the www site is concerned, yes i can set it to listen to localhost, however that will prevent any of our other machines to connect to it. And setting it to its LAN ip will prevent machines on the other subnets from reaching it. At least, I think it will. I'm stuck I think.

   --A