Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

On or about 2005-02-07 14:00, William Hooper whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Fritz Whittington said:
[snip]

Agreed. The only problem with the gmane.org news is that it doesn't
seem to propagate postings to it backwards to the list, only from the list
to the newsgroup.

Oh?

http://gmane.org/post.php

Posted to it twice this last week. Never got any email from them. (And of course, they never showed up on the list.) Perhaps att.net has them blacklisted.

OTOH, if we all just stopped using the list and just
used the newsgroup....

Gmane doesn't have a seperate "newsgroup", it just mirrors list traffic.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck.... If everyone here posted to/read from the "newsgroup", then it wouldn't matter if anyone actually read the list. As far as I can tell, you don't have to be subscribed to the list to post there.

Perhaps my real point is: mailing lists are fine for a relatively small number of people with reasonably low volume. I think the number/volume we have here is more than enough to justify a newsgroup. I know I've been on a lot of newsgroups that didn't have anywhere near this kind of traffic....

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. (Marie Ebner von Eschenbach, Aphorisms, 1905)