Re: sshd: login_name [priv] status

From: <arora.himanshu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: February 7, 2005 2:58:31 AM CST
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: sshd: login_name [priv] status

Hi folks, Just want to know what is sshd: login_name [priv] status. It is shown up when command w is used and it is specific to some login. I tried searching it on google but i did not find anything. Can this status be turned on by default ? If it is on, how can i turn it off.

Himanshu Arora

I believe this is a consequence of the (relatively) new priviledge separation in ssh. In order to make ssh more secure, it runs as two separate processes, one priviledged (root) which does next to nothing, the other is more complex but has only the user's permissions. This is a good thing. It measn that if someone finds a security hole in sshd, they will have a hard time escalating it into a root exploit.