Re: Spam: sleep and wake up working on Dell Latitude C840?

Globe Trotter wrote:
Hi,

Did anyone get sleep and more importantly wake up working on a laptop? APM used
to work fine till the 2.6.8 or 2.6.9 kernels for FC2. It has not worked ever
since, either ACPI or APM. It goes to sleep fine, but has to be powered off and
booted for wakeup.

Never worked for me. I have an older laptop that supports only APM. I can get it to sleep (save to memory). On wakeup, it does come back on kind of. But with garbled screen. If I switch to text console, and back to X, than it is OK. So this isn't really a problem (more like annoyance). The real problem is that on any disk I/O it freezes completely. The only thing that helps is to power it off, and than back on. I can hear the disk has spun up, so it should be working. Have no idea why it freezes on disk I/O. Couldn't find any workaround. Under Windows (default generic Microsoft APM driver, there are no hardware specific drivers for this laptop) it works perfectly (both stand-by and hibernate). Because of that, I'm booting Linux only when connected to AC, when on batteries only Windows. And yeah, it would be nice to have hybernate (save to disk) feature under Linux...

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited