Re: kernel-smp not new default in grub after yum update

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 23:44 -0800, Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 12:53 -0500, Mail Lists wrote:
> >    Whenever I yum update a new kernel the grub default does
> >    not get set to the new smp kernel. On non-smp systems
> >    the grub default is changed to the new kernel.
> >
> >    Is there a setting somewhere or is this a bug?
> >
> >    thanks
> >
> >   g/
>
> 	Depends on which Fedora you're using.  FC3 and FC1 should set the
> default to the new kernel, FC2 and rawhide do not.  I'm not really sure
> what controls this, but if you're system doesn't work this way try this
> list again, maybe we'll figure it out!
>
> HTH
>
> Scott

The spec for the install/update of grub.conf does that.
In FC3 the new kernel stanza is written as the first entry and pushes
the others down.  The default is not changed from 0 so it automatically
selects the new one to boot.

I believe that FC2 also wrote the new one as the first entry in
grub.conf, but it updated the default to point to the old entry and you
had to manually select the new kernel until you updated grub.conf to
have the new one as the default.