Re: Slightly OT: tracking using LaTeX

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Ed Hill wrote:

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 08:49 -0800, Globe Trotter wrote:
Dear all,

In my huge effort to move everyone away from anything remotely smelling
Windoze-y, I am often told that some people prefer using horrible, awful Word
(whether from the bloated Office or from Star Office) even when having to do
complicated equations and mathematical formulae (over LaTeX) because it
provides for tracking of changes to a document. I personally don't care about
tracking, but I am perhaps not that old and wise. Well, anyway, does anyone
know if there is a program which can track changes in a document in LaTeX? It
can not be that different to set up, using a combination of diffs on the old
and the new file, and then including it during the processing by striking out
the old and retaining the new in a different color/type.

Hi "Globe Trotter",

LaTeX files are plain text files and readily lend themselves to storage
and tracking within a source management system such as CVS, Subversion,
etc.  Many individuals and development groups keep their LaTeX files
within CVS.

One (of many) advantages to this arrangement is that when changes are kept with a Word file, users with plain-text editors can see the changes. This is not always desirable, but it is very easy to forget to save a clean copy before shipping it out.

There are LaTeX macro packages to do redlining (for when you need to have the formatted document show the changes), but I can't point to one offhand.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu