Re: RPM problems

Jesse Hannah wrote:
I've tried it as su and in a root console, but it gives me the same
thing. I'll try -Uvh though.

Try running
rpm --rebuilddb
to clean up the database that keeps track of programs installed on your computer. There might have been some corruption caused by rpm being interrupted in mid-process or something.

Also, you might run
rpm -q program
to see if running
rpm -i program
caused multiple installations of the same program within the rpm database.

If you do happen to have multiple installations of the same program but different versions of the program, chances are that the last installed program walked all over your first installed rpms files that were located in the same directory and same file names.

man rpm
might be worth reading over for getting familiar with all the options that are possible using rpm. As mentioned earlier, you should use -Uvh or simply -U or --upgrade for most packages on your computer. The kernel and gpg-pubkeys are mainly the only rpms that are installed with multiple versions available. (On my system anyway)

Jim