Re: Sound problems with FC3 on Sony Vaio laptop.

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

Gary Stainburn wrote:

Hi folks.

I've just upgraded my laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-GRT996VP) from FC1 where I had no sound to FC3. I now have sound, with the mixer reporting the sound driver as SiS S17012. I can't see anything in modules.conf or modprobe.conf relating to sound though, which is surprising.

[gary@dcomp5 ~]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 sis900
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias floppy off
alias char-major-195 nvidia
# Note: for use under 2.6, changes must also be made to modprobe.conf!
[gary@dcomp5 ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias eth0 sis900
alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias char-major-195-* nvidia
install floppy /bin/true
[gary@dcomp5 ~]$

The problem I have is that although the volume controls work, the sound that I hear is stuttered, as though the needle on a record is sticking.

Anyone know how I fix it?

Sadly there may not be an easy fix for the soundquality... However you may want to try and search http://alsa.opensrc.org for this card (which uses the intel8x0 driver) for some driver options you could add to the modprobe.conf fiile and see if that imporves your sound quality.

You could try changing your mixer settings. I know that if I have the PCM settings at 100 I get a bit of static coming out of my speakers.