Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Wilkinson" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Cameron wrote:
No, *you* are not getting the point. The old devfs Just Worked(TM) for the
vast majority of us.

Hmm. Neither Fedora nor Red Hat ever enabled devfs by default. Who is "the vast majority of us"?

I misspoke. I was thinking "legacy /dev setup" but typed devfs instead. Sorry.

There are *lots* of people on this list who are
reporting problems with udev. I am not one so I can't say what is broken.
But I see that for many, many users udev is problematic. I am not saying
udev is bad. I imagine that once it gets the bugs worked out, it will
probably be pretty cool. I am just not sure I understand why the old devfs
was bad and udev was created. Again, to make perfectly clear: I don't
think udev is bad, I just don't know why we needed it when devfs seemed to
work fine.

< truly excellent explanation snipped >

It's not that a static /dev was bad. It's just that the kernel
developers think that they can do better.

Thank you, James - that is exactly what I was asking for. You've made it very clear.

Thomas