Re: Possible - Recommended 20 GB partition recommendation

I don't think that, I have a 40Gb harddisk and I have:
   1) 10GB (NTFS) For XP
   2) 30GB - Extended partition
   3) 100MB ext3 /boot partition
   4) 1GB for shared memory
   5) The rest in ext3 / partition.

I have GRUB in MBR and I have no problem.

Regards,

   Samuel Díaz García
    Director Gerente
ArcosCom Wireless, S.L.L.

mailto:samueldg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.arcoscom.com
móvil: 651 93 72 48
tlfn/fax: 956 70 13 15

Gerald Thompson wrote:
Rajev Mhasawade wrote:

Hi Gerold,
Thanks for ur support.I am relieved!
Yes,i am gonna install fc3.But i plan to give 6 gb to / directory and
make more partitions of the remaining place.
Hey,we dont need ourselves to generate /boot patition?Thats nice!I was
quite unsure about what the hell is this and how much space shud i
leave for it.
BTW where are the linux system files saved?like in win its c:\windows
In /boot or / directory?
Thanks again,
Rajev

Hi again Rajev;
I am posting this to the fedora-list also, there are some people on the list who can give you better recommendations about this.

I think you might have the wrong idea about how to do this configuration.

Actually I forgot about the /boot partition, needs to be within the 1024 cylinder barrier. That was why I had to use partition magic.
Your first e-mail showed this

C:(primary)XP loaded-9 gb
D: 9gb
E: 27gb
F:27gb

- you said you were going to delete E:, recreate a 7 GB E:, and leave the remaining 20 GB for linux
- You need to create a small 50 to 100 MB partition at the beginning of your drive for /boot, you can try it without, it depends on your computer, older computers can't get past the 1024 cylinder barrier. If you have newer hardware then grub may be able to boot up from the MBR without having /boot under the 1024 barrier.
- so if the install fails because /boot is unreadable because of the 1024 barrier, you will need to do the stuff I posted at the BOTTOM of this e-mail.

If you are truly going to break up your partitions please remember these things:
/usr needs about 6 GB minimum

How I would break up 20 GB
- /boot - 50 MB - this is for grub files

- swap - 1 GB - 2 times your RAM is usually all you need. 512 MB RAM x 2 = approx 1 GB

- /tmp - 500 MB - this is for temp files, it is good to make it separate from root so that it doesn't overwhelm the root partition if it starts getting too big.

- /var - 1 GB - this needs to be bigger if you were going to do a server, for a new user you could get away with 500 MB, but I recommend doing the full 1 GB for var, when you use yum it places all its
downloads in var, that is why it is probably better to give it a reasonable amount of space.

- / - 2 GB - you can get away with 1 GB or less, but until you really know the filesystem layout its probably safer to give root 2 GB, if you decide to break off /opt, then give / 1GB and /opt 1 GB, you don't really need to though, you won't be using /opt very often as a new user, /opt is where you install tarballs.

- /usr - 10 GB - usr is where all your software goes, don't bother making a separate /usr/local, you don't have enough space to mess around, keept all /usr stuff on the same partition
- /home - at this point you should have 5.450 GB available for home, if you plan to install a lot of software you can probably take some from /home and give it to /usr, please remember though /home is where you store all your files, so don't make it too small.

***********YOU ONLY NEED TO DO THIS IF FEDORA WON'T BOOT UP BECAUSE OF THE 1024 BARRIER***********
- if GRUB isn't working, using a Windows 98 or ME rescue disk, fdisk /mbr, you should be able to get back into Windows XP after that.
- get a hold of partition magic 6 or later rescue disks (you said all your drives are fat, so PM6 rescue disks will work fine).
- delete your E: drive
- move your D and C drives up 50 to 100 MB, or just resize C: 100 MB less
- create an 50 to 100 MB EXT2 at the beginning of the drive (EXT3 if you have that option).
- if you use partition magic to recreate the E: drive, I would put it at the end of the free space
- this would look like this:
- hda1 - EXT3 - 50 or 100 MB - /boot
- hda2 - fat32 - 9GB - C: - leave this set as the active partion
- hda4 - extended
- hda5 - fat 32 - 9GB - D:
- 20 GB free space
- hda6 - fat 32 - 7GB - E:
- hda7 - fat 32 - 27GB - F:
- make sure you can still boot up into windows before try to install Fedora
***********YOU ONLY NEED TO DO THIS IF FEDORA WON'T BOOT UP BECAUSE OF THE 1024 BARRIER***********

Sincerely,
Gerald