Re: FC3 and NTFS

Den Couf wrote:

--- Loren Lockwood <lockwoodlo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all. I'm very new at Linux. Have tried a couple
of distros and like FC3 best so far. Some problems exist, though. I
have dual boot with Win2K using NTFS. FC3 can't see that partition. Bumming around on the net I found out that seeing NTFS is an option which
is turned off by default in the kernel of this distro. To turn it
on, they say I have to recompile the kernel. That seems scary to me, but I
found a site with very extensive instructions and decided to try it. But first I need the kernel source code. Where do I find that? I poked
around in Red Hat's site, also Fedora's, but didn't find anything.

Also, does this mean that every time a new kernel is
issued I'll have to go through the same procedure? Isn't there some way
to get this option turned on by default?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have read through a couple hundred emails
from this list and not found any other references to this problem. Can it
be that nobody else needs NTFS access from FC3? Is that why it's turned
off by default? I still need W2K for certain jobs, although I hope
that the number of such jobs will approach zero as time goes by.

Thanks.  -Loren

--

Hey Loren,
i had the same problem here, but be sure, you don't

Thanks to all who offered help. I think I ran across that URL previously but since it is not "official" Linux I was doubtful. Now, hearing it from the people on this list, I'm convinced. I'll get right to it.

Thanks again.  -Loren