Re: FC2 PCMCIA / Wireless Problems, Dell Latitude C840 Laptop

Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 01:45, G-Love wrote:

Just did a fresh install of FC2 on a Dell Latitude C840 laptop, and am having a bit of trouble with PCMCIA. It appears as though PCMCIA services are not being started at all. When I boot the machine, my wireless card is in slot 1, but I get no ack during boot that it was recognized. Then, /sbin/cardctl status just after boot gives me:

open_sock(): No such device

I can get the PCMCIA services running manually by doing
service network stop
service pcmcia stop
modprobe yenta_socket
service pcmcia start
service network start

So, my question is two-fold:

1) How do I get pcmcia to start on boot? (As a side, I've installed FC2 on other desktops/laptops and have not previously seen this behavior).

2) What further steps do I need to take once pcmcia services are running to get my wireless nic working? I've got all my network parameters, etc, handy, so that's not an issue.

With FC2 my experience has been that you need to tell your system NOT to boot the PCMCIA NIC at start time. Not sure if that is your problem here. If you tell it NOT to start at boot time the PCMCIA card will be started anyway when the PCMCIA services starts. In FC2 the PCMCIA services get started after network services and their apparently is some kind of race condition or problem if you try to start the PCMCIA card before the services for it is started.

Hopefully that will take care of it for you.

Once you have PCMCIA services started you should be able to configure
your network settings for the card. I use the network GUI usually for
doing this to set the SSID and WEP keys.

That wasn't exactly the issue. I set 'PCMCIA=' in my /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, but I was still having the same problem. I went back and manually started pcmcia services, and it successfully found the card. I was then able to use the network utility to probe for the card, and it was found. I set it up for my home network, and all was well. However, I still have the same problem when I specify enable eth1 on boot. So what can I do to get around this? It seems like there's still a fundamental problem with PCMCIA on my system. Any thoughts?

         -greg

--
GAH