Re: 100% Linux - Is it possible?

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 10:21, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 19:38 +0000, Pete Choppin wrote:
> > I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously
> > considering going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows
> > partition entirely.
>
> Well, if you install 100% Linux, then you'll boot and little else.
> You'll probably like to have a shell, GUI, apps...
>
> . o O ( rpm -qi kernel )

I know you are talking about the purist 'Linux is just a kernel' line,
but people really use 'Linux distributions' and Fedora or any other
current distribution that anyone would consider to replace Windows
includes free applications that would cost several thousand dollars
to duplicate in commercial windows versions.   People should really
do the windows/linux comparisons dollars to dollars instead of on
the same hardware.  That is, spend the same amount as you would on
windows with all the apps you need but put the money in a faster CPU,
more RAM, networking, and maybe even another box or two.  Then see
which system is nicer to use...

--
  Les Mikesell
    les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx