FC3 and MySQL, did it install or not?

Greetings all,

I'm a bit of a newb so please bear with me:

I selected the mysql package when I installed FC3 (as server). I then ran
"yum update" and just let it update everything. That's a good thing, right?

Anyway, so far, so good: named/bind is working well (after a week of
reading!), apache and php are running too. It was a nice surprise when php
worked 'out of the box'!

But I can't start mysqld!

Using updatedb and locate do not find the mysqld file on the system.

So...

"yum info mysql"  reports:
Installed Packages
Name   : mysql
Arch   : i386
Version: 3.23.58
Release: 14
Size   : 5.2 M
Repo   : installed

"rpm -q mysql" reports:
mysql-3.23.58-14

"rpm -i /var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/mysql-3.23.58-14.i386.rpm"
reports:
package mysql-3.23.58-14 is already installed

running "mysql_install_db" from /usr/bin reports:
Didn't find /usr/libexec/mysqld
You should do a 'make install' before executing this script

(Yeah, I can't find mysqld either!)

Do I need to do a 'make install'? What directory should that be done in? I
can't really tell where mysql is installed. I'm confused because I thought
installing the rpm (from anaconda and/or yum) would eliminate that step. So
I'm kinda stuck now... hate to muck up an otherwise good install of FC3.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

burke