Re: fc3 on old 7GB HD with 64MB Ram

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
Swap file ".X.err.swp" already exists!

This is a leftover file from a previously-crashed editing session. You can just remove the file .X.err.swp

Love to but have never been avle to find the delete command in bash. Could you tell me what it is?

$ rm .X.err.swp

setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Feb 3 11:22:14 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

That's all there is in that file - two default settings. Now lets try
X.out: Totally empty file!

That X.err is suspiciously sort; it would normally have much more information after that point.

in vi i just press the down button and it doesn't go down beyond that - am I doing it right?

Yes, that should be OK. To be sure, you could try pressing "G" (that's capital G) to go to the end of the file.

What video card do you have in this PC and what's in the "Device"
section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

There are several 'device' sections. I'm guessing you want this one:

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Videocard"
 Driver "trident"
 VendorName "Videocard vendor"
 BoardName "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identify "Monitor0"
 VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName "Unknown"
 HorizSync  31.5-37.9
 VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0
 Option  "dpms"
EndSection

Hmm, curious. The monitor is in a section called "Monitor" in all the configuration files I've got. I wonder if that's what's confusing things?

I haven't checked if these are rigth, but I can't see why they'd be wrong, I had fc2 running fine (remember that the whole point of this is to get fc3 running with minimal graphics)

Can you run system-config-display? Does it appear to work?

Nope that killed it.

Try changing the line:

Driver "trident"

Driver "vesa"

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that helps.

btw, when I log in it says "You have mail" wtf? I certainly don't - not from any network at least.

It might be a message about your crashed vi session. Look in /var/spool/mail and you should see the mail files for each user that has mail. You could read it with the "Mail" command if you knew how to drive it.

Paul.