Re: Bittorrent - how to use on Linux?

John Wendel wrote:

Jared Buck wrote:

I've got BT and the GUI installed, but Linux cannot seem to find them.
I do not know what directory they have been installed to, and a search
hasn't turned up an executable binary for bittorrent. Can anyone help
me here? Jared

When I run BT, I just use the following command, who needs a gui? Just put it in a script and supply the name of the torrent file as an argument. I usually run it from a virtual console so I can logout and leave it running (since I have to share this computer with she who must be obeyed).

/usr/local/BT/btdownloadcurses.py \
--display_interval 10 --max_uploads 4 \
--responsefile $1 --max_upload_rate 32 \
--minport 52000 --maxport 52100

So the name of the BT executable is "btdownloadcurses.py" but you probably want "btdownloadgui.py". I installed it in /usr/local/BT, but it can be installed anywhere. I would think an rpm istaller would put it in /usr/bin.

Make sure you poke a hole in your firewall for the incoming ports.

Regards,

John

I was wondering if anyone has experience the same problem with bittorrent and FC3: I installed the version 3.4.2-1-1 from a rpm I found on Internet; the program seems to work fine using the command line "/usr/bin/btdownloadcurses --max_upload_rate 32 <torrent file>", except for the fact that after a few hours my operating system stop responding and I'm forced to shut down the machine using the power button. I tried to login through ssh when the computer hang, but even that didn't work.

The operating system is very stable until I run bittorrent, and it runs 24 hours a day without a glitch. Is there a log file that can help to better understand what causes the problem?

Thanks,
Andrea.