Re: cups web interface vs gnome printer management

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 09:58 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why:
>
> (a) you are connecting to the printer using "AppSocket/HP JetDirect"
> rather than IPP and using the cups server on the debian system?

Yes. On the Debian system, I installed cupsys-bsd, and I read a notice
about something talking about IPP not compatible. I do not really
remember what was it about.

> (b) you haven't configured the debian printer server to "publish" its
> printers using something like:
>
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL

On the Debian server:
The Browse* directives are
  BrowseAllow 192.168.*
  BrowseAllow 192.168.*
  BrowseDeny All
  BrowseOrder deny,allow

I'm going to set to @LOCAL

  BrowseAddress @LOCAL

And see.
[ 1 minute later ...]

Hey!

I directly see the shared printer on the "printers" page of the client
CUPS!
Uh! I'm David Coperfield now :-) I've done something magic! And you
helped me.

> in its cupsd.conf file? If you did that, all cups machines on the
> same
> network with browsing turned on (it's on by default) would simply
> "see"
> the printers on the server.

Through the GNOME printer tool, i could see the shared printer, but I
did not see it untill I turned on the BrowserAddress setting.

Thank you for your help.

I'm now going to write the tutorial.

--
ASPO Infogérance       http://aspo.rktmb.org/activites/infogerance