Re: Yum in cron confusion?

William John Murray wrote:

 Hello FC3 users,
       I am confused by yum in cron, it doesn't seem to work for me.

 If I "/sbin/chkconfig --list yum" I see:
yum             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
which looks good.  There is a file '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron' (which if
I run it interactively seems to update yum.)

/var/log/cron was run at 4am, but there is no sign of it having done
anything at all. Certainly my system was not updated, but where should
it leave any error messages? I can add debug by hand of course, but it
is a very slow turnaround, and surely there must be a log file
somewhere?
I found a top about timing on: http://aaltonen.us/archive/2004/10/
which requires a file /etc/cron.daily/yum which I do not have. Is
my installation defective?

  Thanks,
          Bill

Hi,

Did you look at the /var/log/yum.log file? If you are looking for a LogWatch message about updates, you may have to fix a bug in the way LogWatch look into the /var/log/yum.log to get it to work right. On my case, I was getting the nightly yum updates, but they weren't being reported on logwatch untill I fixed this bug. Now it works fine, but I don't have the file '/etc/cron.daily/yum' that you mention. Rather, I have '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron'. Is this file there? It first looks for updates for yum, then updates the rest.

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student