Re: Volume settings not preserved, who's to blame?

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

James Wilkinson writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

I find that my volume settings are not saved in FC2. I have to turn up the volume every time I log in. Examining the volume control settings, it looks like that all settings are saved, except for the "PCM" setting.

Who do I file this bug against?

Do you have a standard Fedora kernel?

Yup.

What sound card do you have?

It's a laptop with an AC97-compatible chipset, that uses i810_audio.o

Do you have a line containing "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" in /etc/modprobe? What does the rest of the line say?

modprobe.conf is for the 2.4 kernels.

In modules.conf, I've got this monstrosity:

post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

What happens if you run
/usr/sbin/alsactl store
from the root prompt?

alsactl works just fine.

I'll try dicking around with modules.conf…

Use alsamixer to set your volumes, then just (as root) issue alsactl store (that's what the lines in modprobe should do, but it actually doesn't). What I certainly would do is to install the driver from an updated rpm or source (if you know how to) and just use the alsasound system service for this: /sbin/service alsasound restart will store the values and keep your sound working. Upon reboot you should get your volumes back,

Fascinating exchanges.

I also run on FC2 (2.6.10-1.9_FC2) and have a similar experience. Following each reboot, I must reset volumes and frequently find that "Master Mono" has been muted (with volume slider still in max position). The kernel choice in FC2 really does not matter as the phenomenon occurs with each.

The system has a modprobe.conf file and no modules.conf. An .asoundrc file has been placed in /home/user/.

Issuing the /usr/sbin/alsactl store command from a root prompt (reached by su -) generates another # prompt without any exception messages. On reboot, sound volumes are still set to zero.

Restore-remove lines from the modprobe.conf file are
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx

man modprobe, man modprobe.conf, man alsactl have been read and several variations in the above statements have worsened rather than improved sound performance.