Re: How can i find out, what files a RPM is provding?

>1> Is Tar.pm installed on my system, and

>The answer to question 1 can be found by using locate. If need be, run
>updatedb first to update the locate database, and then use "locate
>Tar.pm" to find any matches.

Another and sometimes simpler answer to this question is using an very old UNIX command: find.

If the OP wants to find the file "Tar.pm" then the command is:

find / -name Tar.pm

This will list out all of the files named Tar.pm.  Also running updatedb on a very large system can and does take a long time.

>The answer to the second question can be found by using my original
>solution, "rpm -q --whatprovides /path/to/Tar.pm" (and of course use
>the correct path).

Very eloquent and will tell if the file "Tar.pm" was installed by rpm also.

--

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!