Re: yum vs system-config-package

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:16 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:19:37 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

> > > But why not make them sync. together?
> >
> > That would the thing to do but at the moment there is a problem with
> > system-config-packages, which is why I suggest sticking to yum for the
> > time being.
> >
> > In FC4 there may well be a yum-based tool that completely replaces
> > system-config-packages anyway.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> Thats a good idea but how to install the package from CD ?

There are a variety of ways of doing this. The simplest is simply to
mount the CD and manually use "rpm" to install the desired package. You
may have to install dependency packages first though, as rpm does not
install dependencies for you.

If you've got lots of disk space, the easiest thing to do is to create
your own yum repository and edit your /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo,
commenting out the line:

mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-
$releasever

and adding a line:

baseurl=file:///home/my-yum-repo/fedora-core-$releasever

You can create this repo by doing the following:

# mkdir -p /home/my-yum-repo/fedora-core-3
(insert 1st FC3 CD)
# mount /media/cdrom
# cp /media/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm /home/my-yum-repo/fedora-core-3
# umount /media/cdrom
(repeat previous 3 steps for each of the remaining FC3 CDs)
# cd /home/my-yum-repo/fedora-core-3
# rpm -Uvh createrepo*
# createrepo .

You'll need at least 2GB free space in /home to do this.

You'll then be able to use yum to install packages from your local repo
without ever needing to mount your CDs.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>