Re: Could an Intel 486 wake up with FC3

On Monday 31 January 2005 02:30 pm, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > You can't install FC on anything less than an i586 now without rebuilding
> > pieces of it (no i386 kernel, for example), and it looks like FC4 will
> > abandon even that.
>
> I doubt it. Apparently at least some of the VIA CPUs that are being sold
> today don't count as a 686 as far as gcc is concerned.
>
> Incidentally, a 486SX doesn't include an FPU, and Fedora kernels (not
> surprisingly) don't include emulation code. One other thing for the
> Original Poster to remember.
>
> James.

Minor point, but the OP said that he has a 486DX4-S cpu, which was a far more
powerful critter than the 486SX stuff. The 486DX4-S was an AMD product; the
"S" indicates that the cpu used intel-style power management (whatever that
means).

I once had a 486DX4-120 on an AOpen motherboard, and it was stronger than
houses -- virtually crash free under DR-DOS, Windows 3.11 and even Win 95. It
benchmarked at about the same as a Pentium 90. I suppose that it is possible
to run one of the text-only 486-specific Linux distros on it, but it would
take far more patience than I have.

-- cmg