Re: networking howto wanted

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 14:18, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After searching for a bit i decided I didn't know what I was searching
> for and certainly wasn't finding it.
>
> I have one nice computer and one old one. I want to be able to use this
> nice one from the old one. I don't know what that type of networking is
> called so i haven't been able to find out how to do it.
>
> A couple of links would really help me out here.

Can you load Fedora on the old one?  Will it support X windows?  If so
set it up then ssh from the old one to the new one.

You can then run programs on the new system and have their windows sent
to the old system.  I do this all the time with evolution and gimp and a
few other programs.

You can even setup launchers that run the programs or scripts on the
newer system.  The launcher gives you a very nice password window for
the ssh session.  Or if you setup some certificates you would not even
need the password.

This works very well over 100Mb networks and even works OK remotely over
cable modem level access.

I use it over a wireless setup to a laptop.  The added benefit is such
connections are encrypted using ssh so you don't have to worry about
your WEP key getting broken as much.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx