Re: Fwd: How can i find out, what files a RPM is provding?

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 10:55 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 10:12 -0600, David Hoffman wrote:

> >>I've never heard that. The query function is a standard function of
> >>RPM. If you have RPM installed (and you should) then you should be
> >>able to perform any queries of your RPM packages.
> >>
> >>Try rpm -? for additional help.
> >>
> >>rpm -q  = query mode
> >>--whatprovides is an argument to the query mode that tells RPM to look
> >>at it's own data and tell you which packages provided a particular
> >>file.
> >>
> >>For example, I want to know what package I installed that provided me
> >>with libmysqlclient.so.10:
> >>
> >>rpm -q --whatprovides libmysqlclient.so.10
> >>
> >>Then it gives me back an answer:
> >>MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0
> >>
> >>So any file that is installed from an RPM package can be queried this
> >>way to let you know which package installed the file.
> >>
> >>I didn't have to add any additional packages to be able to do this
> >>query -- or at least none that I intentionally added.
> >>

> > No extra packages are needed for the query, but the query will also only
> > work, as has been stated, only with files that were installed from RPM.
> > If the file was put in the system from CPAN or some other source the rpm
> > query should fail to produce output about it.
> >
> > Also, the full path to the file must be provided in the query since that
> > is the way the package identifies the file.
>
> I think the OP was asking which files a given RPM has in it.

No, he wasn't. See:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg08167.html

"I want to check, whether I have Tar.pm installed on my system. This
must have been happened via yum - so rpm. yum provides is extremely slow
on this machine, so i would like to check this with rpm. So how can I
find out, which rpm-package is providing Tar.pm?"

And several different recipes have been provided to find the correct
answer.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>