Re: javac

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 02:12:06PM -0500, ricardo wrote:

> hi, I'm new in this list, I have problems to compile in FC3 using java
> jdk-1_5_0_01
>
> [root@localhost bin]# ls
> appletviewer   jarsigner     javaws     jstack   native2ascii  serialver
> apt            java          jconsole   jstat    orbd          servertool
> ControlPanel   javac         jdb        jstatd   pack200       Test.class
> extcheck       javadoc       jinfo      keytool  policytool    Test.java
> HtmlConverter  javah         jmap       kinit    rmic          tnameserv
> idlj           javap         jps        klist    rmid          unpack200
> jar            java-rmi.cgi  jsadebugd  ktab     rmiregistry
> [root@localhost bin]# javac Test.java
> libgcj-javac-placeholder.sh

You are seeing this because you are executing /usr/bin/javac instead of
the javac in your current directory.

The easiest way to get around this is by using ./javac (instead of
javac).  This will execute the javac in your current working directory.
For example:

 $ cd /usr/java/jdk1.5.0/bin
 $ ./javac Test.java

This has the disadvantage of working only in that directory.  If you are
in another directory and want to call javac, then you can give the
absolute path.  For example:

 $ /usr/java/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac Test.java

You may want to consider adding /usr/java/jdk1.5.0/bin (or whatever the
location of your java executables) to you PATH, so that javac can be
found no matter what directory you're in, and you don't have to give a
the absolute path to it every time.