Strange update behavior with OpenOffice.org

I had a strange update tonight and wanted to pass along my experience.

I noticed that yum reported updates to openoffice.org version 1.1.3.mumble. No worries, said I, yum does the right thing and I ran the update.

After the update, when I tried to run OpenOffice, the installer appeared, with a dialog asking me to update my installation of v1.1.2 because the "network" installation had been updated. When I followed the prompts to update, the update failed, asking me to close OpenOffice 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.1, and 1.1.2.

After this, OO would not run, instead Bug Buddy appears whenever I try to use an OO application.

My fix was to uninstall (rpm -e) the existing versions of openoffice.org, openoffice.org-libs, and openoffice.org-i18n. Then a simple

yum install openoffice.org

appears to have recovered my OO installation, kindly leaving the big i18n package out.

I thought that was really strange. If anyone has seen this situation, this might help. If you have other information about it, I'd appreciate a word.

Erik Hemdal