Re: 64-bit FC3 on nForce4 motherboards

I'm using the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Socket 939) with an Athlon 64 3500+. My chipset is nForce3. I think you will be just fine if you remove the PATA drive and install only to the SATA drive. Currently, my system boots off an SATA drive and there is a second hard drive plugged in also which is on the SATA2 connector. I started out with just the boot drive connected to SATA1, got my system installed, and went on to add the second drive to SATA2 and I created the mount point "by hand".

I do not know what happens when you attempt an install where 1 drive is on the PATA connector and the other is on an SATA connector. I do know that at install time, both drives are globbed together in an LVM Volume Group. This happened when a friend asked me to install FC3 on his older system and I just left both his PATA drives plugged in. I'm not sure how it all works, but I think this might be confusing the boot process in your case.

Your motherboard has an SLI capability, right? Are you implementing that?

Bob Cochran

Brian Stretch wrote:

Has anyone successfully migrated a 64-bit FC3 machine to a nForce4 chipset (PCI-Express) motherboard? I get a kernel panic very quickly during bootup, right after it fails to mount the drives (boot drive is Serial ATA, nForce controller). There are two PCI errors too. The weird thing is that I can boot linux rescue off the FC3 DVD and read my drives just fine. I had to move my HDs back to my old system to get online so I'm hoping someone can at least tell me if they have successfully run FC3 on a nForce4 chipset system.