Re: Why I think FC3 sucks!

Dave Jones wrote:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:15:50PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > > - Some drivers are intentionally deleted because "nobody has this > > > hardware any longer".
> >Examples please ?
> ISA ethernet versions

Ah yes, that got fixed a few updates back.

>and I did have a problem with pcnet_cs (I believe) > not being configurable with the tools to setup networks.

the driver should have been there since.. well, almost forever.
I don't have access to CVS prior to 09-Sep-04 handy right now, but
it's definitly been in FC3 since then.

I'd love for ISA crap to just go away forever, but every time
we make noises even suggesting it, we get comments from lots
of people about how useful it is for them to have them present
in the Fedora kernels. Maybe one day we can farm out all the
ancient junk to a kernel-oldjunk rpm in fedora-extras 8-)

		Dave

The configuration of the cards that used pcnet_cs was the toughest part. I believe I had to load the module in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and was dependent on the pcmcia file that was before the permissions of the file were set from 755 to 644. I had to carry the file from release to release. The GUI tools were pretty useless to get the NICs configured.
I might pull out the cards from storage and attempt to put them back in service again.

I like the proposed title for the rpm. Would this include ntfs support? I'm sure that some features needed for extreme legacy hardware would have to be put aside in such a scheme of a legacy kernel rpm. The kernel already outgrew the 1.44 floppy, we don't need it to be the size of a normal CD.

Jim

--
The so-called lessons of history are for the most part the rationalizations
of the victors.  History is written by the survivors.