Re: Why I think FC3 sucks!

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:31:04PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

- It is less capable than even late 1990's M$ when you are trying to setup dual-displays.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, you mean like having dialog boxes straddle the two monitors
on Windows? We've got Windows software released this millenium that
still gets this wrong.

I can set display 1 at one resolution and display to another resolution and they both work. Now for the problem with programs slopping the wrong information on each screen is different. Most windows programs that I have seen were not impressive to me, dual-display or single-display.

[Yeah, I know that the same problem existed
with Xinerama and many -- but not all -- X window managers until
recently.]  But I've been running with two *independent* (non-Xinerama)
screens for a decade. Each screen has numerous virtual pages that are
independently switchable.  We are able to see M*N combinations of virtual
pages side-by-side, where M and N around here are anywhere from 4-32.
This is invaluable to someone who has to run multiple trading systems,
program, read mail, browse the web, etc.  Tell me again how that works
on Windows?  ;-p

The programs suck. Configuring the displays to work was pretty easy though. Did you have to manually edit your configuration files to get things setup or were you able to use some easy to run tool?

In windows, the second display presents a text message on screen that tells you where to go to configure the second monitor. You follow the text directions on the second display and you are all set to go.

I'm impressed that you can use dual-displays for a decade now. It would be better for this feature to be easier to configure and work for more cases than only for special configuration of the files or customized programs.

It doesn't work for me today on Fedora, but it does on ME. Why there is a difference is just a curiousity and a disappointment to me.

Jim

Bill Rugolsky

--
Theory of Selective Supervision:
	The one time in the day that you lean back and relax is